29th April 2007 - The Ceremony

I landed there on Saturday the 28th of April.

Sriram was too busy. So we had not spoken since Thursday. I was not sure if he would be there to attend the function. (Despite family commitment, there was also his professional commitment to consider. I could understand that part of his life quiet well, since I had trodden that path some time in my life too. There was a part of me which felt it would be nice if he was there and also a part which scolded me for not being a professional in heart too). I spoke very less about it to him. I did not want to add up to the queue that was already getting him tensed.

I went by Cheran. His uncle also traveled in the same train. Sriram wasn't there to pick them up from the station. Only his elder brother was there. And he too did not recognize me.

On reaching home, I was in for a sweet surprise. Mom welcomed me in with a aarathi. I was wondering why this special invitation. Enjoy the wind so long as it is blowing. Then I was shocked to see the house so empty. All furnitures were gone. Then my parents told me that they were temporarily shifted to the next house.

After my bath and calming down the mouse that was gnawing my stomach, I saw the ring that mom and dad had made for him. I knew by instinct that Sriram was never going to wear it as it was uncomfortable (worst case - He might knock my head with that very ring only). I wanted to change it. Parents were fussing about it. But I managed to convince them.We had lot of purchases to complete. Fruits, blouse pieces, betel leaves, flowers.With me asking to change the ring, I had terrible shouting from both mom and dad. It was all messy. Then Bhaiyya intervened and convinced them.

We went to the jewelers. Dad was apprehensive "he might not do it. He might charge more". Fortunately, the jeweler was not fussy. We went by12. The Jeweler got the new ring ready by 4 and infact this model cost us less gold and we got a refund also.Then I wanted Panthal for the function. That was also organized.The kids - all wanted Mehendi. After finishing all cleaning, putting kolam, packing the return gifts, then mehendi for the kids, it was around 2 that I slept.

I had some last minute purchases to be made. Anna and Manni only went about doing them. I also had to get Anna to bring a Tape recorder. I wanted James Bond music. The moment the Groom entered, I wanted that music to be played. But I was vetoed. (That was apart from the knock that I received from Anna).

Dad's friends had come by around 8 and simplified most of his work.

Dad woke us up by 4. Chithi put Nalangu for me. I was given mangala snanam by elders. Then they dressed me up in a new saree. I had all goose bumps. I had to rub them down with calamine lotion. :-). Bhabhi had got me lots of flowers. I simply love having a lot of flowers in my hair.

The bridegroom family landed up by 7. Around 50 people came.

Sriram was welcomed with arathi. (My God, he looked too tensed and shy. He was more shy than I was supposed to be).

He was given the official welcome and my parents had given him his engagement attire. (The part of the Shirt needs special mention - I had told him, that if he did not buy a shirt for himself, I would get one for him (Bright yellow with Red stripes!!). So, he got one for himself. He still calls me Ramarajan's sister)

By the time he had changed, I was called in. His parents blessed me and gave me my engagement attire.

It was a nice pink saree that my father-in-law-to-be had selected for me.

His mother gave me a necklace and a ring. Appa gave him his ring.

His mother sang a very nice song on Rama. I was making a mental note (Never ever open your croacking voice in front of these musically trained people!!).

When parents exchanged the Tambulam, his uncle whistled.

After that there was an arathi for both of us. Instead of "Seetha kalyana Vaibohameh", the lyrics were changed as "Manjula Kalyana Vaibohameh"

Sriram's uncles (Mama) were the most jolly ones. Teased both of us.Welcomed me into their family and made me feel very comfortable.All my friends came and met him. And said, they really feel sorry forhim and that he was a big Tyagi.

My kid cousins had worked hard to draft a questionnaireto ask him. Some 15 questions. He answered all of them. Then he did not have anyone to ask me those questions (so sad..).

Then we had breakfast. I was made to sit beside Sriram. I was feeling very shy.But managed to hide it well.

He removed his ring immediately and that ring went inside his pocket. After food, it came back to its place in his finger.His uncles were teasing me asking how I would call him. I said, I will decide later.But when the situation came, I had to call him - some how I called him"Sunoh" and he immediately turned around. That solved that issue I guess. Later I was laughing thinking about it.

I am yet to get over the butterflies that keep flying any time his father speaks to me. Nothing wrong about it. But in my mind, he is still in a Senior auditor - Guru position. Seeing him as my father-in-law -that will need more time I guess.

We were teasing my Kid cousin - Smriti, saying she would also get married. At one point, I took her to Sriram and said, "she wants everything that I get, how about a husband?". He immediately pointed out his kid cousin saying they would make a good pair. Smriti started crying thinking they are really going to get her married.

The Groom's family left by around 11. I went and slept like a log until 4.

Sriram tells me that he was teased to the core. I thanked God that atleast I was spared.

1st May being my (star) birthday, their family members were discussing about the gift he'd give me. He had already given me a gift that I would always cherish. "A Family". I am not sure if he would realize that. But I'd owe him a lot for that single gift alone. This was the first function that I had seen so many people. So far I have not attended even a single engagement ceremony in my life or any function for such a long duration in the last decade at least.This was the first and most memorable one for me. Usually people talk very less about their engagement. Some do carry memories of their wedding. But I don't think I'd forget this one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The month of Aadi

Memories of my Baby shower

Sasthi-Abda-Poorthi