St. Valentine

There is this much hyped Valentine's day that comes on every 14th day of February.

Although, many might say that it is a marketing strategy or westernised culture seeping into India or what ever.

The days before Valentines day are indeed magical. Call it the age acting or because of the media hype.

I used to hear a lot of love songs floating in almost all Radio channels (Can't afford a TV in a hostel life). And of course mails relating to Valentines day celebrations. The internet was also filled with Valentines day specialities. What to gift, What to dress, How to express, How to "prepare", Valentines day superstitions etc etc. Some came up with some sensible valentines day gift suggestions also.

I was surprised to know that India had a 1200 crore valentines day business going on. I was totally stumped that guys in Punjab actually spend 60k to have a 15 minutes ride on Helicopters to propose to their valentine is a romantic way. (That was quite way off I believe).

Finally, the day did arrive for me. Asusual Bhaiyya lied about his way of celebrating Valentine. He still claims he never could actually get a rose for his wife.

Mannoj, who is now in Bangalore wrote to me about his plans for Valentines day saying "Well, am thinking to get some chocolates & Red Rose bouquets for Suman. Inspired by your previous mail am planning to get an Insurance cover/MF investment/FD for Suman. " I am not sure if he did actually executed that.

Meenu on my way back from office surprised me by introducing her husband whom I teasingly call "Bhava" (just to see meenu fume). Her way of celebrating Valentines day was going to the beach and having Idli at Murugan Idli shop. Her husband's gift to her was sparing her from cooking that night's dinner. Hmmm. When Love is in the air, I guess everyone has their own sense of romance.

Well, as far as my valentine is concerned. I am my own valentine. I went to purchase some dresses for my family.

Some guy did send me a nice Valentine card.
http://www.touchninspire.com/romantic/everything.html

But (un)fortunately he wasn't known to me. Somebody from orkut.
And I faithfully forwarded that card to my friends who could make better use of somebody else's creativity.

So that's that about Valentines day for the year 2007. Atleast during 2006 the HR stuck some stickers on all systems saying thanks for loving your work so much (A typical example for a HR's sense of humour). Since many had protested that "It spoils the office' decor" - this year there was nothing.

Some were still cribbing that it was Much Ado about nothing. Well, any opportunity to keep you happy is still special. So why not if it is from the west or east.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The month of Aadi

Memories of my Baby shower

Sasthi-Abda-Poorthi